The evaluation will look into whether Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth complied with department policies when using a Signal group chat last month.
The inspector general review follows revelations that top Trump officials used the unclassified platform Signal to coordinate military strikes in Yemen.
Just seven days after the Signal chat scandal erupted, the White House announced that it doesn’t want to talk about it anymore. In fact, it was Monday when press secretary Karoline Leavitt said that, as far as she and her colleagues are concerned, “this case has been closed.”
Last week, the White House said the National Security Council, the White House counsel office and President Trump adviser Elon Musk were all looking into the mishap. But now, that probe has wrapped
Officials were crisscrossing the world as they sent and received sensitive messages on Signal about an imminent U.S. attack on Yemen.
There are plenty of lingering questions about the "Signalgate" fiasco. Donald Trump and his team are apparently no longer interested in getting answers.
Explore more
The element of surprise in the Yemen airstrikes was 'very likely lost' as a result of the controversial leaked Signal chat, a Democrat senator told Caine during a Senate hearing Tuesday.
The White House considers the Signal chat leak case "closed," press secretary Karoline Leavitt told the media Monday.
In some states, Trump’s favorability soars. But several recent polls show that more Americans are disapproving of the president than less.